Between the Chapters: e-learning
In this week’s Between the Chapters episode, Laura chats with Kelvin Bentley about all things e-Learning based on Martin’s Chapter 6: e-Learning. These reflections discuss how far e-Learning has and hasn’t come now that many higher ed institutions are being challenged during the pandemic, and what distance education will continue to look like post-COVID-19. More importantly, we discuss what we can learn from 1999 and take these building blocks for how we want learning to look like in the future at our colleges and universities.
- What is e-Learning?
- All the “Categories of E-Learning” on Wikipedia
- The Evolution of Distance Learning
- The Foundations of Learning & Instructional Design Technology Timeline
- Doctor Who from the BBC
- Digital Diploma Mills
- Quality Matters – 2003 start; learn more about QM
- Recognizing “Open” in Tenure and Promotion at UBC
- Metaphor of Holding onto the E-Learning Past Fact Check: It is Linus’ Security Blanket
- Reimagining higher education in the United States McKinsey Report (2020)
- The Shift to Remote Learning: The Human Element
- Major Companies Partner with Colleges for Education Opportunities in Emerging Tech
- What are Microcredentials?
- Why Companies and Universities Should Forge Long-Term Collaborations
- What Will Learning Look Like In A Post Pandemic World? Do you agree?
- Faculty Success course (free) via Six Red Marbles
Questions for the community:
- What skills are you putting into your own practice or toolkit to support online learning now and for the future?
- How are we preparing ourselves for this evolving future for digital learning?
- What are people thinking about the future of professional organizations? Can we stay engaged in an “unconference” way to stay engaged with our colleagues/peers/professionals in the field?
- How will we chart the future of our own professional development?
- What ways are you planning post-pandemic learning at your university or college?
Do you have thoughts, comments, or questions about this podcast? Send us a message or tweet. Podcast episode art: X-Ray Specs by @visualthinkery is licenced under CC-BY-SA & Remix by Dr Maren Deepwell.