Between the Chapters: Web 2.0
For this Between the Chapters episode, Laura welcomes Bryan Alexander and Alexandra Pickett to discuss Chapter 13 (2006) web 2.0 and all the user-generated experiences this technology brought for teaching, learning, and more! We talk about the experimentation days of Web 2.0, the connections we made to peers, and the challenges we’re seeing over a decade later as things got social and scaled.
- Web 2.0 Definition
- All the cool web2.0 tools Alex tested from 2008-2013! & the HOW/WHY for learning
- who am i? boundaries blurring…personal “noise” vs. professional “signal”
- “Small Pieces, Loosely Joined”
- Folksonomies and web 2.0
- Tagging & RSS in Web 2.0
- Reflecting on our web 2.0 favs like Diigo & Flickr
- Web 2.0 we said R.I.P. to: Delicious & Google RSS Reader
- Deleting tweets (non-techie starts her personal information environmentalism journey–with lots of help) via Amy Collier
- I deleted 40,000 tweets last week. Here’s why (and how) via Kris Shaffer
- My Digital Audit: Where Do I Want to Be Online? via Laura Pasquini
- What is digital storytelling?
- The New Digital Storytelling by Bryan Alexander
- Academia Next by Bryan Alexander
- The Age of Surveillance Capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff review – we are the pawns
- What is Section 230?
- The Internet’s most important—and misunderstood—law, explained (Section 230)
- How to Start Fixing Social Media
- Domain of One’s Own – Reclaim Hosting
- Tumblocalypse: Where Tumblr And Its Users Are Headed After The Ban
- “You’re Not the Customer; You’re the Product”
- FCC Publications & Acts — Radio Act
- DuckDuckGo – a privacy focused search engine
- The Diaspora Project
- the CMS is a dinosaur …and you know what happened to them…
- Throwback to rants from the “Between the Chapters” LMS episode
Questions to ask Martin & the community of @YearsEd listeners:
- What does the sandbox of technologies and tools look like for others now when you first go online to explore?
- How does AI and algorithms modify how we use these technologies?
- How does copyright advance?
- Where does the LMS go in the future related to these tools & technologies?
- How does radicalization impact the use of these technologies? How does this impact the use of these mediums for education?
- What insights/changes/ramifications might be seen for these technologies on the effect on higher ed, with regards to the granularity & microcredentials for education?
Want to learn more from the guests of this episode, be sure to connect to both:
Do you want to share your thoughts about video, media or more for learning? Do you have comments or questions about this podcast? Send us a message or tweet. Podcast episode art: X-Ray Specs by @visualthinkery is licenced under CC-BY-SA & Remix by Laura Pasquini.