Between the Chapters: E-Portfolios
In this episode of Between the Chapters of @YearsEd, Laura dives deep into the land of e-portfolios with Orna Farrell and David Wicks. We chat about sharing standards/competencies, reflecting on learning, and thinking about how to share practical inquiries in portfolio format for the topics of 2008 & Chapter 15: E-Portfolios. We define what e-portfolios are and aren’t, discuss the affordances of sharing publicly, being open about our failures, building personal learning networks with portfolios, and upack what it means to share & showcase with digital portfolios now.
- Define: What’s the purpose of a portfolio? What’s the clear aim & objective?
- e-Portfolios 2008–2012 with Jisc
- Seattle Pacific University for the Digital Educational Leadership program
- Check out the bPortfolios EdTech Sandbox
- Community of Inquiry
- Mahara ePortfolio
- Personal Learning Networks (PLN): Defining and Building a PLN
- Laura’s 2012 Doctoral Candidate Portfolio vs. Laura’s Blog
- Dr. Helen Barrett “godmother of ePortfolio”: https://electronicportfolios.org/
- From Portafoglio to Eportfolio: The Evolution of Portfolio in Higher Education (Farrell, 2020)
- Eportfolio Ireland Community of Practice
- A time for equity & care? Sheila MacNeill
Questions to reflect on from this chapter:
- How can portfolios provide a better form of assessment of learning?
- What ways can we think about using the standards, practices, and ways of curating learning experiences in Eportfolios for understanding our work and knowledge?
- Are your learners using their portfolios (or blogs) beyond your course? If so, how?
- What is the balance to engage learners to contribute to adding to their portfolio for professional practice?
- How are you pausing to reflect on the work you do? E.g. the why and what of our practice of teaching, learning, and research
Learning more about guests of this episode at:
- Orna’s ResearchGate
- David’s Website
Do you want to share your thoughts about e-portfolios or how you curate & reflect on your work? Do you have comments or questions about this podcast? Send us a message or tweet. Podcast episode art: X-Ray Specs by @visualthinkery is licenced under CC-BY-SA & Remix by Alan Levine.