Between The Chapters: MOOC
For this episode of @YearsEd Between the Chapters, Laura chats about almost everything related to the acronym MOOC: Massive Open Online Course with Sukaina Walji, Dave Cormier, and Rolin Moe. We dive into The Year of the MOOC (2012) and Chapter 19 of Martin’s book to share how we stumbled upon MOOCs in our work, research, teaching, and learning life.
- What’s A MOOC?
- Dave Cormier’s Viral Sensation to Explain: What is a MOOC?
- Questions & Answers About MOOCs
- What Was the First MOOC? By Cathy Davidson
- MOOCs for the win! By George Siemens
- Top Ed-Tech Trends of 2012: MOOCs by Audrey Watters
- Change 11 MOOC
- Mediocre Middle – David Wiley
- The CCK08 MOOC & About EC&I 831 MOOC with Alec Couros
- Do MOOCs contribute to student equity and social inclusion? A systematic review 2014–18 (Lambert, 2019)
- Perspectives from African MOOC takers: understanding transitions in and out of learning and work
- Deacon, A., Walji, S., Jawitz, J., Small, J., Jaffer, T. (2019) Seizing opportunities: MOOC takers making time for change. Critical Studies in Teaching and Learning (CriSTaL)
- Small, J., Deacon, A., Walji, S, Jaffer, T and Jawitz, J. (2019). Building capabilities: Using MOOCs to make transitions in work. Open Praxis, vol. 11 issue 4, October–December 2019, pp. 427–441.
- Online Learning: More Than Just a MOOC by Laura Pasquini
- De-Icing the MOOC Research Conference by Jim Groom
- RIP: MOOC Research Site: http://www.moocresearch.com/
- Who Studies MOOCs? Interdisciplinarity in MOOC Research and its Changes over Time (Veletsianos & Shepherdson, 2015)
- How Do Online Learners Overcome Challenges in MOOCs?
- Ed Tech Talk (Community)
- The MOOC Model for Digital Practice (McAuley, Stewart, Siemens, & Cormier, 2010)
- Stanford University does a MOOC by George Siemens
- Through the Open Door: Open Courses as Research, Learning, and Engagement (Cormier & Siemens, 2010)
- Community of Inquiry
- Comparing xMOOCs and cMOOCs: philosophy and practice by Tony Bates
- Rhizo14 –The MOOC that community built (Cormier, 2014)
- Udacity, San Jose State University offer online classes for credit
- After Cheggification – A way forward (Part 1) by Dave Cormier
- The Chegg Situation is Worse Than You Think by Michael Fieldstein
- MOOCs and Online Education; a real difference
- 2016 – the year of MOOC hard questions by Martin Weller
- The cost of support by Martin Weller
- Remember the MOOCs? After Near-Death, They’re Booming via NYT
Questions for the listening community:
- What is student engagement and what is the value add for higher education?
- How do you sustain and influence the conversation about online/digital learning beyond the pandemic times?
- What are the levers we might have to promote better student learning in multiple modes?
- What advice do you have for others who explain either MOOCs & this book means for others just joining this conversation?
- What does it mean to be truly accessible in our global world of learning in online education?
Beyond MOOCs, these guests do a few other things so you should connect and find them at:
- Sukaina: http://www.cilt.uct.ac.za/cilt/about/sukaina-walji
- Rolin: http://profmoe.com/
- Dave: http://davecormier.com/edblog/
What does the world of MOOCs mean to you? What have you learned about MOOCs after all the fury died down in 2012?Let us know. Send us a message or tweet. Podcast episode art: -Ray Specs by @visualthinkery is licensed under CC-BY-SA. Remix by Laura Pasquini.